Tuesday, October 19, 2010

post September 28, 1861

Moreover in all my intercourse
with the men, it was an extremely rare
occurence that an oath grated my ears.
In looking over my career for the three
months spent with Genl. Floyd I unhes-
itatingly pronounce them the very happiest
period of my life. Receiving the most flatter-
ing obedience & attention from those inferior
to me ^'in' rank, enjoying the respect and
confidence of my equals & superiors, with
plenty of work & some fighting to do, my
times glided away in a most charming
manner. Though ranking only as Captain
my privileges were far more desirable then
those of a Colonel. No dispatch arrived,
no intelligence was received, no plan was
adopted that was not confided to me,
while Colonels & "all lesser lights" stood
submissively in the back ground, most
grateful in many instances to receive a
little information from Capt. Woods.
No word ever fell unnecessarily from the lips
of the General to mar my feelings -- on the
contrary most flattering compliments
were bestowed upon me in the presence of my
fellow officers. My associates upon the
staff were men of the first order-eminent
for intelligence, bravery, & manly sentiments.
Captain Peters, our adjutant-General with
whom I spent a large portion of my time,
is an accomplished scholar -- having
graduated with distinction at Berlin, & has
since been professor of languages -- at William
& Mary College. He is a gentleman of endurance
energy & dignity -- & enjoyed the confidence &
esteem of all his acquaintances-.

No comments:

Post a Comment