Friday, October 22, 2010

post September 28, 1861

Maj. Perry -- Commissioned aid to the General
is a plain, matter of fact, modest, unass-
uming gentleman & withal of great intrep-
idity, with a great deal of the milk of
human kindness in his veins. He proved
a true friend to me.

P. R. Spracher secretary to ^'the' General is a very
nice young gentleman, polite & kind &
ever ready to confer a favor. He seemed
to a great to degree to make our time pass
agreeable -- He was not favored by a
chance to give the Yankees a chance
a display of his fighting qualities -.

Maj. Glass -- my mess-mate & ever faithful
friend, is editor of the Lynchburg Republican.
In him the qualities characteristic of the
gentleman & soldier are combined in a
eminent degree -- We have been the
beholders of many are a rare scene together
& have endured many a hardship.

He enjoyed the confidence of the General as
much, if not more than any other man in the
army & well deserved it.

A few days before he Gen. Floyd left with
his command to go South of New River -
I received letters from home urging me
to return immediately to the University -
couched in such language that duty
to my parents left me but one course to
pursue & that was to leave my old hero
& return home which accordingly I did -
The General expressed great regret at part-
ing with me & his last words to me, -
were- "Whenever you enter the army again
come directly here,you shall always
have a place on my staff right with
with me."

Robert Henry Glass, 1822-1896, father of long time Virginia Senator Carter Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment